Friday, April 3, 2009

A step in the treat direction......

Something really wonderful happened this week with Maroo. For weeks now he has been struggling with accepting treats/cookies from strangers, especially women. But yesterday when I brought Maroo to work with me to the grooming salon he made a big step in his reclaiming of courage. Mari who I work with at the salon just loves Maroo and has been quietly encouraging him each time I bring him to work with me....she gives him his space and does not come across to strong so that he would fear being in the salon with me. In the past she has offered him treats and he would not even go near her no matter what the treat might be.......yesterday he took the treat willingly from her hand without hesitation! Today when I had him with me the same thing occurred........He has now accepted Mari as a friendly person that he can trust. This is an important step for him in his recovery.......up until a few weeks ago he would turn away and not even look at strangers in the eyes. Slowly he is accepting the love and affection of others.........I could not be more pleased with the progress he has made this week......Having a few days off from going everywhere with me was a good idea....It gave him a chance to slow down and relax a bit before going back into the new world he is still learning about each day......

No comments:

Post a Comment