Thursday, April 30, 2009

A very sweet thing.....

Late last night.........actually early this morning around 1am my Kimberly who is almost 18 years old, had a very bad seizure. To my knowledge this was the first seizure that she has had, and hopefully the last....All was quiet in the family room while I was watching TV last night.........all of the dogs were either cuddled up with me on the sofa or laying in their dog beds on the floor.......everyone except for myself was sleeping........Kimberly was sleeping on the smaller sofa by herself as she normally does at night.........when all of a sudden she jumped off of the sofa and started bumping into things very forcefully.......I quickly went to her to see what was going on when she then fell onto her side.........I have seen dogs having seizures many times in the past and this episode was classic. I carefully repositioned her and continued to stroke her head and body, telling her that everything was alright.......I remember even bringing my mouth to her ear and whispering to her that I was there and that she was going to be ok........I honestly thought at one point that she was going to be leaving me........I did not want this to be the way my girl crossed over that Rainbow Bridge but if it was, I was going to make sure she knew that I was there with her before she left.....
Now for the really amazing part...........During this episode all of my dogs had woken up and immediately went to Kimberly's side.........Each one of them licked her legs and face and kissed her and they were genuinely concerned about her.......There was not a sound out of any of them........no barking, no whining........nothing! This was probably one of the most beautiful yet frightening moments I have spent with my dogs.......Although none of my dogs have ever had a seizure up until this point........they all instinctively knew that Kimberly was in trouble and that she need their love....

This morning before I went to work I had to make the decision if I was going to bring Kimberly into the Vet's office or not..........Since bringing her to the Vet would really stress her out and she did seem to be much more herself later this morning, I decided not to bring her there......Had I done this the Vet would have suggested medication to prevent further seizures.......which would have turned my beautiful girl into a zombie! No, my Kimberly deserves much more that that........She has had an incredible long life filled with many wonderful adventures.......She deserved to be at home and at peace with her family this morning .........If she had given me any sign that she was in pain or discomfort, I would have brought her into the Vet's office in a flash..........but this was not the case.

Maroo.......was very quiet this morning when I was getting ready to leave for work........I let him outside with Kimberly right before I had to leave..........I watched them both from the window to make sure that she was ok........and I saw a very sweet thing, Maroo went over to Kimberly and started to lick her face........and for the first time since they have met, she allowed him to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment